Businesses are eligible to apply for a grant through the Fund if they meet the following criteria:
- Have been subject to closure or highly impacted by Non-Essential Activity Directions issued by the Deputy Chief Health Officer to-date External link (click here); and
- Have employed staff during 2019-20; and
- Have a turnover of more than $75,000; and
- Have payroll of less than $650,000; and
- Hold an Australian Business Number (ABN) and held that ABN at 16 March 2020 (when the State of Emergency was declared); and
- Have been engaged in carrying out the operation of the business in the Australian State of Victoria on 16 March 2020.
We note that the Fund is targeted at small businesses that may not be eligible for 2019-20 refunds and waiving of payroll tax, which applies to businesses with wages bills of $650,000 or above.
Also, the final "going concern" requirement (above) refers to a business where an owner is still in control of the business (not in liquidation, administration or receivership), and where the owner has the intent of reopening the business once shutdown restrictions are lifted.
While owners of businesses that do not employ people (non-employing businesses) are not eligible for funding through this program, they can seek support through the Commonwealth Government's Job Seeker Payment Program.